Re: Re: Obtaining a weapon through Heroquesting, part II

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:42:41 -0800

> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Roderick and Ellen Robertson wrote:
>
> > Then either it isn't *THE* Ravenswing sword, or the original Ravenswing
> > sword was kinda puny (cosmologically speaking, that is).
>
> ?? It was the sword of a EWF era Humakti with power in the near the w4
> level. It's a hero's sword, not the "shatterer of worlds" or anything
> like that.
>
> It's not the actual sword of a major God, or anything like that.

Okay, I've read through the GT quest...

I assume that instead of getting a Raven sidekick, the original EWF quester took it as a Sword, right?

It doesn't seem to be a really, truely unique item (assuming that the original EWF hero only went to the Hero Plane, not the God Plane), especially since it was "created" inside of Time, and I wouldn't worry about another person going back to get a similar sword. If he wants *that* particular sword, then I think he needs to track its history and find out where it is in the Middle World. It's just not "unique" enough to have its own otherworld presence, unless the hero has become a God in the meantime...

The vanilla quest doesn't say "the" raven daemon, but "a" raven daemon - so there are multiple raven daemons available. How far off you've gone from vanilla will affect the outcome, of course, but cobining "Hero Plane quest" with "Inside of time" indicates to me that the item isn't "mythically important" enough to be "unique" as I've been using the word. Yes, it's the only one of it's kind currently, but it could probably be replicated without affecting the original (Something that, say, "Mastakos' Chariot" can't)

> > If this is the One and Only True Ravenswing Sword (TM, accept no
> > substitutes) then you still can't get it through a normal Heroplane
> > Heroquest, it's gotta be on the God Plane. And there you face *real*
> > demigods, not Heroplane wannabes.
>
> Hmm... but when the _actual_ god in question is a minor godling of 10w3
> power?

So? it's a minor Godling, it lives on the God Plane. If you want a permanent effect, the Hero plane isn't enough.

RR
- Richelieu