Re: Re: Who Worships Who?

From: Norbert Franz <norbert.franz1_at_...>
Date: 17 Mar 2005 22:57 GMT

"Trotsky" <TTrotsky_at_...> wrote:

> ... Other Narrators take the view that devotion is a religious duty entirely
separate from mundane ones, so that even devotion to a kingship cult isn't possible for a king, while yet others find that the story is best advanced by not worrying about it, and allowing a king to be a devotee of whomever they like. I'd suggest picking whichever approach works best for you. YGWV and all that :)

Thank you very much, Trotsky.
Indeed when I posted my questions earlier, I had only the documented, long established "kingship/leadership" cults in mind... Orlanth Dar and whatever the other Orlanth Allfather cults are called, Ernalda the Queen for the women.
Apart from YGWV, I guess a lot of the entrance requirements for the royal ruler position are more like traditional formalities and regularly repeated rites, carrying of insignia, attending of essential ceremonies.

One of the most appealing parts of the tribal info in Barbarian Adventures to me was to read that almost none of the 24 tribes in Sartar has an Orlanth Rex-affiliated "real Heortling" king, post-conquest that is. One tribe has a Humakti queen... *yowzah* Something I never would have made up as a Narrator... just wouldn't ahve dared to. Now I got a precedent. Another tribe, for the known reasons, has a Doburdun-worshipping king, one a Barntari, another still is governed by a Lunar missionary (apparently without getting close to the title of "king").

This makes the longing for the return of a true liberating traditional king on the part of the Heortlings all the more understandable. I love it.