RE: Re: Vanilla and other commodities

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:00:16 -0000

> >However, the point can be illustrated by some googling:
> >
> >"Wheat was the single most important commodity in the Ancient world.
> >Almost every war that Rome engaged in was over the flow of grain, ...

> The invasion of Britian?

Angelsey did produce grain, but I believe silver/tin mines had more to do with it. Plus us Brits supporting the nasty rebels in Gaul (you know, that one small village...)

A better reason not to use grain warfare as a parallel for the Lunars is that it's boring, of course.

Trade routes, rather than trade goods, seem to have been a lot of the reasoning for the invasions.

But, we can still have fun with local specialities once we have some nice culture clash going! Stick-pickle, anyone? Or some good Colymar scrumpy?