The danger of googling

From: Jeff Richard <richj_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 22:04:34 -0000

> >"Wheat was the single most important commodity in the Ancient
world.
> >Almost every war that Rome engaged in was over the flow of grain,
> >either to Rome itself or to one of her vassal states. The Roman
> >Legionaires were proud to provide this vital service to the Empire
> >and proudly wore these rings to signify that."
>
> The invasion of Britian?

Or Germania? Mauretania? Or even Gaul? Or for that matter, the many Roman civil wars of the late Republic or the Empire? Come on!

>This Blood for Corn theory is such sheer
> and complete bollocks that it's not even useful for as a parallel
>for the Lunar Empire.

You say it, brother! This does illustrate the danger of relying on internet sources for historical background - there's some fantastic material out there, but there is also tons and tons and tons of just pure crap. Some are so bad they are almost brilliant - there's some great paranoid idiocy there (and I'm not even talking about the political stuff!).

Jeff