Re: Websites and the Policy

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:47:24 -0000

Rick Meints:

Much useful advice, but...

> READ: Page 5 of the PDF policy, re: online sources.
> That page is 80% of what you need to know.

But sadly the missing 20% is rather vital!

The main missing item being the email address we have to contact to discuss what needs what sort of licence, and to send submissions to. I'd happily do this as fast as possible, but not knowing who or how to contact makes it hard.

"The Online Source otherwise conforms to the "Policy for Online Fan Sources" as detailed in full in Appendix A."

Hard to tell without Appendix A :(

"The owner or operator of the Online Source ... directly notifies ISSARIES of the site to the physical or email address provided in the "Policy for Online Fan Sources"."

No policy, no address...

> CONTENT: If you have over 250 words of PROPRIETARY
> material, even with prior verbal/email approval to
> use it, you will need to get permission to keep using
> it. That means snail mailing in the approval form.

SNAIL MAIL????!!! That approval form says "The item in question is complete and total, and included in full here." How does one print and attach a web page, unless it's entirely static? What do you expect to happen when you click on a picture of a button on a piece of paper?

> NOTICES: At very least, you will need to put on your
> website the Trademark acknowledgements and "Concept Use"
> statements found in the policy.

Well, we can try (and I have), but the wording of the Trademark bit leaves me a bit lost.

"[Name of trademark] is the [trademark or registered trademark] of Issaries, Inc., and is used [under license or with permission]."

Fill in the blanks time...

  1. all of the supplied list of trademarks?
  2. which? all are "registered" at present, I think? Whatever that means?
  3. neither, as yet, so what do they want me to say?

And I'm going to fascinated to see how this list manages to get all that lot, plus the "fan material" statement, on the bottom of EVERY message without things getting completely out of hand. Once I've seen, I'll probably follow their example on various lists I control, but I really don't envy the moderators trying to make sense of that.