RE: Re: Gloranthan Fiction

From: Paul Andrew King <paul_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:02:02 +0000

>But that refers to "Issaries", a Gloranthan character (not to mention a
>trademark), and is hence not Wholly Original. That's the trouble, to be
>Wholly Original it looks like you can't use any existing Gloranthan
>material, places, names, anything. In which case, why bother?

I agree that that is a problem with the policy as written. Unless it is made clear that Issaries will accept such work as "Original Material" for the purposes of the license it is going to be hard for magazines to take much advantage of the clause allowing them to publish without clearing every article individually.

The good news is that I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter for fan websites, so long as the rules for the Informal License are met. Unless Appendix A says something different, fan websites have very few restrictions - and none of them say that Derivative Material is treated any different from Original Material.

--
--
Guide to Taoism_

Paul K.