Re: Re: Gloranthan Fiction

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 08:13:56 +0000 (GMT)

Me:
> > But that refers to "Issaries", a Gloranthan
> character (not to mention
> > a trademark), and is hence not Wholly Original.

Nick:
> Loth though I am to defend the insidious and onerous
> Policy, it's
> clear (to my non-legalistic reading, and my advice
> is worth exactly
> what you paid for it) from section 2.E. Concept Use
> that you can use
> Gloranthan characters in your own Original Material.

By name, yes, but no more, it seems.

"The types of use that are considered to incorporate or make derivative use of Proprietary
Material include, but are not limited to:...

...To substantially expand previous Proprietary Material (such as a description of a person, place, creature, entity, event, or object)."

So if you take a name, and expand upon it, that's proprietary, it seems. If you take a name and don't expand upon it, then it isn't.... but how can you write a story about a character *without* expanding on them?

Maybe I'm lucky that when Issaries put Tarthcaer into Dragon Pass, they Anglicised the name to "Fort of the Mists". I'd never refer to it by that name, so when I write up the (new, better) description of the place, I can happily refer to "Tarthcaer" without expanding on anything.

Expanding on Vinga, though, will presumably require a licence. No more "here's a myth I dashed off last night".

Jane Williams