Re: Digest Number 2042

From: Madeleine Eid <eid_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:47:32 +0000

> Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 23:48:26 -0000
> From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>
>Subject: RE: Re: Gloranthan Fiction

>Now what we need is something like the "plain English" campaign we've
>taken for granted for years over here, so that legal documents make
>sense in the first place.

Unfortunately, 'plain English' in a legal sense would lead to even more trouble as 'plain English' is/can be ambiguous as to meaning and intent. A legal document with a plain English translation helps those of us without a legal background understand the intent and meaning of the legal document...

However, even a legal document is open to misunderstanding - vide my great-grandfather's will. His solicitor fumbled his draft will roll and one section of the will was declared intestate as not even the lawyers could understand what was meant by it!

TTFN Maddy