Re: Telmori of Sartar to appear in my game

From: Jeff <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:17:17 -0000

There's a long write up on the Hsunchen on Glorantha.com under "Spotlight on Hsunchen" by the inestimable Ttrotsky.

> Hello,
>
> In doing so, a few things struck me that I never asked before:
>
> - Do the Telmori have the traditional bite of a werewolf with its
> consequences, meaning that if they bite a human, then that
> human will in turn become a werewolf on the next full moon?

Nope. They're a species of humans who happen to also be wolves. Or is it wolves who are humans? Or both? I forget. =)

> - Are Telmori able to interbreed, and if so, with whom?
> If a Telmori male gets a human female pregnant, would their
> child be a Telmori, a werewolf without belonging to the
Telmori,
> or just a human?

Prrrrobably not. The Telmori are hsunchen and breeding with outsiders is probably not something that happpens. However, such a child, if child there be, might be considered some sort of Lost Cub and could be inducted into the Telmori animist worship and gain the powers due him or her.

I suspect they interbreed iwth their own kind, wolves. I'm not sure how close they are to, say, the World of Darkness's Garou that currently infest the gaming mindset. =)

> I could make something up, of course. Maybe there is a 50%
> chance the child would develop the Telmori traits later.

Or they'd just be odd until they find that strange charm that your uncle brought back from the Maboder Wars....

> - I would assume all Telmori get abilities of a religious keyword
like
> "Telmor Ancestor Tradition", along the lines of the Puma
People's
> Ancestors Tradition Keyword that appears in HQ. I'd bet a
Telmori
> would never leave this tradition and never needs to worship a
god.
> Would propitiatory worship of Orlanth be known among them?

They are hsunchen. Its my understanding that if they stop worshipping Telmor they lose their ability to shapechange *permanently.* I don't know if they'd propitiate Orlanth though its quite possible they might. They're two legg'd wolves though. Have to think that way about them.

Jeff