RE: Telmori of Sartar to appear in my game

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 21:33:16 -0000

I seem to remember recommending the web page www.telmori.com in previous messages - I'd suggest that if you can, you also take a look at the old RQ supplement, "Dorastor", which had a RQ cult writeup for the Telmori of that area. Much will now be out of date, of course, but it could be useful for borrowing ideas.

> - Do the Telmori have the traditional bite of a werewolf with its
> consequences, meaning that if they bite a human, then that
> human will in turn become a werewolf on the next full moon?

Not that I know of. Even the cursed ones aren't humans cursed to turn into wolves, they're shapechangers cursed to lose control of their shape-changing ability on Wildday. Even if the curse was passed on by biting (which AFAIK it isn't), a human has no such ability to lose control of.

> - Are Telmori able to interbreed, and if so, with whom?

According to "Dorastor", "marriage with an outsider is considered to be beastiality, and is forbidden on pain of death". Later it says that the same goes for having sex without getting married. That would seem to be a "yes, but" :)

However, wolves (non-shapechanging ones) are considered Telmori. So that isn't even interbreeding, it's just breeding.

> If a Telmori male gets a human female pregnant, would their
> child be a Telmori, a werewolf without belonging to the Telmori,
> or just a human?

Dead, from the look of the above. I doubt if anyone in Glorantha knows.

> I could make something up, of course. Maybe there is a 50%
> chance the child would develop the Telmori traits later.

This sounds like a potential PC?

Apparently there's a method of being adopted into the Telmori and having your soul converted into that of a wolf, but it's highly dangerous. Being converted into a *dead* wolf is considered to be a success, though a live one is also a possibility :) I don't know if this helps you or not.

> - I would assume all Telmori get abilities of a religious
> keyword like
> "Telmor Ancestor Tradition", along the lines of the Puma People's
> Ancestors Tradition Keyword that appears in HQ. I'd bet a Telmori
> would never leave this tradition and never needs to worship a god.

The RQ write-up talks about shaman, but also about divine magic. Using the Puma People as a model sounds like a good bet to me. Or any other HQ/HW writeup on Hsunchen you can find.

> Would propitiatory worship of Orlanth be known among them?

Dorastor again: "heinous crimes of vile deeds, such as.... using foreign magic.... exiled from the cult and the tribe..."

Probably not, from the sound of that. Though I wonder if among the Sartarite Telmori, there are followers of the hero-cult of Sartar? (Storm Tribe, p242)