Bloodlines and Factions of the Orlmarthing

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 17:49:42 -0000

I thought I'd post some more background material from our Seattle Farmer campaign. This is some background on the various bloodlines and factions of the Orlmarthing Clan of the Colymar. It is from circa 1614, not long after the failure of Starbrow's Rebellion. I am indebted to Ian Cooper for his ideas (which I shamelessly have borrowed).

Factions and conflict within the clan tend to be based on either bloodline or personalities. Although many of the factions are described as "ideological" - they are more personality-driven than this write-up conveys. Bloodlines are the basis unit of legal responsibility for the Orlanthi - and it is not surprising that many clan conflicts are based largely on bloodline rivalry.

The three "old" bloodlines of the Orlmarthing trace their descent from Colymar's Sons or their followers. The bloodlines take the name of their founders:

Varsmaring: The descendants of King Varsmar Zombie-Bane. Traditional leaders of the Orlmarthing. Population: c. 250 Renowned Members: Gordangar the Clever (Chieftain), Yerestra Kingswidow, Orlgard Lawman, Kalf Coin-Oak, Erynn Long-Shanks, Enika Mistress-of-Tales, Korlmhy Storm Voice, Herger the Alynx, and Brenna Watchman.

Urothorlings: The descendents of Urothorl the Blue Ram, the oldest bloodline. The bloodline has always been strong with magic. Population: c. 200
Renowned Members: Morganeth Whiteeye, Hantrafal Runemaker, Willandring the Priest, Wilms Vak.

Hindelssons: The descendants of Hindel Many-Fields, a support of Sartar. Population: c. 200
Renowned Members: Thandren Longface, Insterid Cold-As-Winter, Harla the Black, Jenest the Brewer, Esrolki Law-wise.

The three "new" bloodlines have emerged since the Resettlement and do not trace their lineage to Colymar.

Ufarholtings: The Ufarholtings were once members of the Vostangi clan whose feud with the Lismelder was settled without a single death. But the clan no longer exists, dying out from an enemy's curse which brought Mallia to them. The Ufarholtings are the survivors of the Vostangi, adopted as cottars. Population: c. 125 Renowned Members: Ovartien Stoneheart, Drogar Twice-Outlawed.

Ellisifssons: Ellisif Many-Kin led the survivors of the Stream-Vale settlers to safety as cottars after the Zombie Army burnt their houses and fields in the Bestmen Wars. Population: c. 75 Renowned Members: Loricon the Smith, Enterossa Three-Sticks.

Skiordings: Skiord the Quick and his followers fled Volsaxiland when the Kitori Darkmen ravaged the Marzeel vale. They were adopted as cottars. Population: c. 75
Renowned Members: Havarnos the Quick.

Factions Among the Orlmarthing
Thanks to Orane's Spindle (one of the Orlmarthing clan treasures) factions and conflict within the Orlmarthing are usually pretty manageable. These are traditional names for these sorts of factions amongst the Heortlings. Even though many clans may give their factions similar names, these factions are intra-clan not interclan.

Righteous Wind
Some people are still loyal to Sartar and his kingdom even though the Empire extinguished his flame and defeated Starbrow's Rebellion. Some people continue to fight a guerilla war against Lunar occupation. Expel the Lunars and those who consort with them! Punish Lunar allies like the Locaem and the Alda-Churi! Renowned Members: Nisk the Outlaw.

Old Way Traditionalists
We were defeated in the Disaster Year and Starbrow's Rebellion because we have forgotten the old ways of Heort and Orlanth. We must strengthen Orlanth so that his power can rip the Red Moon from the sky. We must reenact the ancient heroquests of our ancestors to bring back the power of the gods.
Renowned Members: Yerestra Kingswidow, Orlgard Lawman, Korlmhy Storm Voice, Ranulf Wordsmith. [Note: this faction is especially associated with the Kentventssons]

Peace Weavers
Unite or be defeated by the Moon Tribe! We must unite the Heortling people as Orlanth did to defeat the Fire Tribe. With cattle, marriage, and peace rugs, we can settle disputes and find another way.
Renowned Members: Morganeth Whiteeye, Erynn Long-Shanks, Enika Mistress-of-Tales, Enterossa Three-Sticks, Fedarka Copper-Key, Yanioth Ernalding. [Note: The leaders of Orane's Circle are wellrepresented  in this faction]

1/10th And Not a Chicken More!
Last year, the Lunars took almost half the wealth of the clan. We cannot afford a tax of more than one part in ten. We must do whatever is necessary to reduce the Lunar tax - be that rebellion, Duck hunts or sacrifice to their evil gods. If our leaders do not get the Lunar tax reduced, we will need to get new leaders! Renowned Members: Thandren Longface, Harla the Black, Esrolki Lawwise,  Jenest the Brewer, Loricon the Smith.[Note: the Hindelssons are especially well-represented in this faction].

Eye of the Storm
While a tempest blows around us we do not need to be caught in its winds. We should look to our flocks, our fields, and let the storm blow over.
Renowned Members: Gordangar the Clever, Kalf Coin-Oak, Hantrafal Runemaker, Willandring the Priest, Insterid Cold-As-Winter, Olav the Carpenter.

Dogkillers
The Greydogs are not like us. They keep dogs and have webbed feet. Ever since their king, Ordag Lismelder, sacked Old Man Stead and tried to seize our pastures on the Ridge from our Clan, they have been our foes. They murder our shepherds and take our livestock. Curse them and their ancestors. We should make the Greydogs pay our tribute to the Lunars!
Renowned Members: Ovartien Stoneheart, Drogar Twice-Outlawed, Havarnos the Quick, Eranina Copper-Axe. [Note: the Woodpeckers and Ridgeleapers are well represented in this faction]

We Are All Us
The Lunars have won. The old ways are over and a new world is coming. We should embrace the new.
Renowned Members: None [Yet].

Jeff