Re: Troll magic

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:07:49 +1200

At 12:32 AM 4/15/2005 -0400, you wrote:

>In that light, what then is the situation concerning trolls now?

Most of troll worship is animistic (from RQ3 Troll Gods) but we know Argan Argar's cult is Theistic. The HeroQuest Trolls description p218 has both the troll and the warrior trollkin with the abilities: Kyger Litor tradition knowledge _and_ worship Kyger Litor - indicating that Troll religion still encompasses both animistic and theistic perspectives.

However the Troll Pantheon is _not_ a Dark "We are all Uz" Pantheon as HW:Uz points out on p32. Only Gods and Spirits within the Council of Eight may be worshipped without Penalty. Thus a Karrg's son may use Boztakang spirits without any problems.

However once one starts worshipping Gods and Spirits outside the Council of Eight, such as Argan Argar or Zong, then the Troll's magic can only be mixed unless he dedicates himself to Gods or Spirits.

There is a final quibble about Kyger Litor being a Great Goddess but that is better debated on the digest.

--Peter Metcalfe