Re: Runes - what do they mean now?

From: Trotsky <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:29:17 +0100

LC:

>and a couple of spirits seem to
>have made it. (Subere, who I think is a Great Spirit, and Daka Fal.)

Subere was described as theist when that list was compiled for RQ (she's animist in UW: Uz, though). The animist ones are supposed to be what were then called the 'Form runes':

Beast - Hykim (i.e. the beast-worshipping Hsunchen tradition) Plant - Flamal (an elven shamanic tradition) - although Aldrya is included in the Jonstown list, instead
Man - Daka Fal (i.e. ancestor-worship)
Spirit - Horned Man (i.e. non-aligned shamanism) Chaos - Primal Chaos (chaotic animism, or worship of Chaos for its own sake) - replaced here by Wakboth
(Dragonewt is a form rune too, but too generally weird to fit on this scheme)

And, Mostal, of course, is sorcerous/wizardly magic, albeit rather different in detail from the Malkioni sort.

>This completely changes the view of Glorantha I had. I didn't realize there were some
>"real" gods and others who didn't own runes and so weren't fundamental to the cosmos.

It's a theory that exists within Glorantha. Its not necessarily *true*, and I don't think it was intended to be taken as gospel truth even then. It would seem odd, for instance, if Orlanth is really that much more important than, say, the great god of the Fonritian pantheon. Or than Pamalt, for that matter. The fact that, in the Jonstown list, we have Aldrya instead of Flamal, that there's no god representing the Motion rune (one could hardly claim Mastakos is essential to the running of the universe), Kyger Litor instead of Subere, and so forth, is, IMO, another reason to doubt that its Absolute Truth.

Although, as the Hero Wars progress, you will doubtless get the chance to *prove* its the absolute truth, should you so desire :)

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic