Runes - what do they mean now?

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 10:07:04 -0000

Do gods (and greater otherworld entities in general) still have runes which represent the nature of the powers they wield and/or encapsulate? If so how do you determine what they are?

I thought it might be determinable by investigating affinities but that soon gets very complicated if subcults (etc.) are taken into account. [According to this scheme Yelmalio's runes would be Death and Light but I could have sworn he had Truth in there somewhere.]

Now that each entity seems to have a rune that personally represents them can they be assumed to 'own' that rune? If so this would have Ernalda owning Earth, Orlanth owning Air/Storm, Mastakos owning Movement, Chalana Arroy owning Harmony, Erumal owning Disorder, Humakt owning Death, Issaries owning Communication (or whatever it is called), and Lhankor Mhy owning Truth (as per Thunder Rebels and Storm Tribe). To me this seems to be too many compared to what I can recall from RuneQuest, but even if it is right it doesn't seem to work so well with many subcults (c.f. Vinga's).

Thanks,