Re: Hero Points

From: Jeff Kyer <jakyer_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 16:13:28 -0400

> Hi Mike,
>
> Thanks for the essay -- I don't mean to sound snippy, but I do have an
> idea about the range of variables at work. What I was really after is
> just a sense of people's concrete experiences of how the HP were
> actually used in _their_ games. If you don't feel able to give any
> general sense of your own experiences, fair enough, but if you (or
> anyone else on the list) felt you had a handle on the kind of
> proportions your group(s) spend on bumps vs advancement, I'd be
> interested.
>

>From my experiences:

Group A) Stingy on HP for bumps. Older players, enjoying a gritty game. All but one of the players hoarded their HP for cementing and skill increases and kept a small but comfortable reserve of about 3-5 HP for "dire emergency." About 1/3 of their HP went to bumps (at most). One fellow would spend at least HP making sure he got a huge augment in any important conflict and would usually spend a HP to make sure he never lost a conflict. By the end of a 2 year campaign, he was actually significantly weaker than the other heroes due to this. Well, not weaker but he was more specialized because he only had HP to raise his core competencies and didn't have much room to branch out except with directed HP.

Group B) A much younger, more exhuberant crowd. Happily beat their enemies to death with HP. Over half their HP went into bump-ups. But for them, the most gratitious victory was sort of a badge of honour. Fun, fun kids. =)

Jeff

--
Flight to Peru - £1000
Camping gear - £200

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.