Re: Speaking of Magic n' Stuff...

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:11:18 -0700

> So. The HQ book has these tests that if you fail, you
> can get kicked out of your religion, etc. What
> happens to a monotheist who gets kicked out of his
> religion... especially if he is an apprentice wizard.
> I mean, what you essentially have is someone who is
> wandering around casting spells unsupervised and
> stuff.

Other people have replied, but as a note...

A completely flubbed test usually means "you can't join, ever, whatever you were trying to join, and you *might* get expelled from the specific organization if you're already a part of it". Only one test actually mentions the possibility of getting kicked entirely out of the religion (Become an initiate, page 117). Note that the three base-level "join the religion" tests don't kick you out, they just don't let you in.

Joining a Homeland religion is automatic and assumed at Character creation - I wouldn't require it in the 100 words if you just want to be a community-level worshipper. Only second or third-level participation should be noted there ("Initiate of Humakt", Practitioner of Three Hollow Bones", etc.). I'd require mention if a player *didn't* want to have his hero be a part of "everyday life".

Those "join a religion" tests are for swapping entire faith structures, not for everyday heroes.

RR
- Richelieu