RE: Introducing newbies to Orlanthi.

From: Scott Rogers <amaretto_sirloin_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 03:57:13 -0700 (PDT)

I find a lot of the Old irish myths (eg: Cuchullan)are very useful for describing everyday life on a stead. I figure this is fairly close to how an average Heortling community would live.?

Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...> wrote:> So my question is this: What's the best way to introduce a group of
> Glorantha newbies to Orlanthi society?
>
> I have What My Father Told Me, from HQ Voices, so I'm going
> to make some
> copies of that and hand it out. Does anyone know of any other
> good hand
> outs I could use? What has been peoples general experience with
> introducing people to Glorantha and Orlanthi?

The last time I did it, I started by finding an analogue that we all knew enough about to help, and found attractive. You could use Vikings (without the sea), Celts (Roman invasion of Britain/Gaul), some semi-appropriate fantasy series that you've all read, whatever works for you and your players. I used Asterix, with references to Katherine Kerr's Deverry. And later, in another context, explained Odin as being "a bit like Humakt" - it all depends on what references you have in common.

In terms of game design, you may find it helpful to start the PCs as pre-initiates, and have the players learn along with their characters. So you start with Orlanth and Ernalda, explain what aspects they cover, without mentioning any of the huge and confusing array of sub-cults until they express an interest in that aspect. Just tell them all the lesser deities and sub-cults exist - go into more detail when needed, and not before. Then they learn the basic myths of society by experiencing them as part of initiation.

Will you be playing F2F, or what?

We used to play weekly, but stay in contact by email in between, and I used to send them a story or a myth to read a few days before the game each time. Somethng related to the next session. "Here's what the storyteller said last night, while you were sitting round the fire" sort of level. Then we'd discuss it in-character, and then go and do something with it.

Yahoo! Groups Links