RE: Re: Kings of Heortland

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 23:57:59 +0100

> > Nothing in particular, I suppose. It's just that something
> colourful and
> > heroic is being lost, and that's always a shame.
>
> But I don't think it was the right color or heroism.

Maybe not there - but can't it be fitted in somewhere else? Surely someone, somewhere, must have gone to extraordinary lengths to try to get the Pharoah back? And failed horribly?

> Besides, after Orngerin dies, all hell (literally)
> breaks loose on Heortland.

Literally? Sounds interesting.

> With the Pharaoh gone, the Holy County is
> like Yeats' Second Coming:
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
> The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
> The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
> The best lack all conviction, while the worst
> Are filled with passionate intensity.

Which is always an interesting background for adventures :)

But that was the Pharoah gone, not Orngerin III gone (really, was the repetition of the name necessary?). Orngerin's death without an heir was bad, sure, but that wasn't the cause of hell breaking loose etc. Was it? If it had been, then the contrast between his utter unmemorability and the consequences of his death would be good, but as it is we don't even seem to get that.