Re: Re: Steal Woods and the Heortland Plateau

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 02:18:49 -0400

On Tue, 2005-07-06 at 08:55 +0300, Mikko Rintasaari wrote:
> I've always understood that Sartar was exceptional because he _could_
> leave Heortland. It sure sounds like a magical prohibition. Not a rule,
> but a limitation. Something they can not do.
>
> -Adept

That's certainly the interpretation I've always heard. That Sartar basically flipped the prohibition on its head. He could leave Heortland, but never return. He then made himself king and a god, which of course, makes you the least free you can possibly be. (So it seems he was sort of an inverted Larnsti in lots of things.)

Hang on a tic, now a memory is rattling in my brain that Sartar was an initiate of Issaries. Or am I remembering that wrong?

That reminds me. Do the Larnsti just support kings of the Hendreiki, or do they become kings themselves? It seems if they are to be free at all times, they should want to not be kings, since a good king is bound to his people. (That might be taking the metaphor too far.)

Although I like the "it's actually an oath" thing, I thought they were tied to the area because of the print somehow; caught in the irony that that they espouse absolute freedom but are irrevocably bound.

LC