Re: Ethilrist's men and total population

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 16:44:34 -0000

> > . . . on those figures just about every
> > able-bodied adult male is a soldier. The
> > only sensible interpretation is that
> > the majority of the foot soldiers are
> > part-timers who also farm.

I think that is probably right. If there are 20,000 people in Black Horse Vale (which may be an overstatement - I think 10,000 may be more likely), and somewhere between 500 and 2500 riders, then just about everyone else is going to be involved in food production to some extent - even the foot soldiers.

I suspect the bulk of the population are Vendref peasants - since Ethilrist's valley was Grazelander prior to Ethilrist's conquest of the vale (which if I recall was in 1527-1545). I'm sure that they forcibly participate in whatever ceremonies Ethilrist insists on.

Jeff