RE: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 23:57:31 +1200

At 12:34 PM 6/16/2005 +0100, you wrote:

> > The Hill of Gold isn't on the God-Plane but in the
> > Great Darkness.

>And this affects having a Spirit as one of the
>participants in a theistic HQ how?

The Hill of Gold is not just a theistic heroquest. It is a place on the other side, where one can encounter gods, spirits and sorcerous entities. Only things met in the God-world are theistic entities. Once one ventures onto the heroplanes, anything can be encountered no matter who does the heroquesting.

For example, the Lightbringer Quest is a theistic quest yet sorcerous entities are encountered twice - at the Outpost of Logic and at Luathela.

> > >Which AFAIK is a board game that's been OOP for
> > some time, so that response,
> > >while no doubt accurate, isn't what one might call
> > useful.

> > How isn't it useful?

>How could it possibly be useful, unless you actually
>tell us what's on the list of spirits mentioned? This
>is the HQ list, remember, the one where we assume
>people don't have any pre-HW material.

In which case you could have said so instead of making an one-liner the point of which was obscure.

Tribal Spirits

Founders and Protectoresses

Great Spirits                   Spirits of Darkness

Dark Eater                      Grandmother of Spiders
Zola Fel                        Night Woman (Xentha)
Oakfed                  Raven
Wild Hunter                     White Princess

Spirits of Fire                 Spirits of Air

Evening Star                    Lightning Boy
Morning Star                    Mistress Calm
Pole Star                       Rainbow Girl
Sun Hawk                        Thunder Bird

Lunar Spirits                   Water Spirits

Little Moon (Shargash)          Dew Maid
Redwood                 Frog Woman
                                 River Horse

Independant Spirits

Brother Dog                     Monkey King
Condor                  Ostrich Mother
Father of Independants          Pure Horse Founder
Foundchild                      Hyena

Great Rhino

Spirits of the Paps

Ronance
Good Shepherd

>A board
>game not an RPG, that's been OOP for ages, would be a
>pretty obscure reference even on the Glorantha list.

It hasn't been out of print for ages as a French edition was printed several years later than King of Sartar.

--Peter Metcalfe