Re: heortling orlanthi initiation

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:21:14 -0000

> No, I mean I don't really know how the Heortling double-initiation
plays
> out. I've tried running initiation during character creation to
two of
> my gamers.

Well, you are trying to model a personal spiritual revelation through the medium of roleplaying - not exactly easy. Think about trying to model the experiences of someone who is "born again" through gaming - maybe you can do it, but it usually will be pretty hit or miss. That's why the rules gloss over it and abstract the entire process.

However, I recently emailed my players Greg's essay on the HQ website and asked them to ponder these Confrontations and think about the following questions:

What was your Confrontation with your Ancestors and how was it resolved?
What was your Confrontation with your Ancestral Enemy and how was it resolved?
What was your Confrontation with your Mirror Self and how was it resolved?
What was your Confrontation with the Devouring Monster and how was it resolved?

I gave some players additional questions -"Herger, Wilms, Korlmhy and Nisk all met with the Second Son, and at least Wilms, Korlmhy and Nisk met with the Star Heart. I'd like you guys to think about the following question:
Did you get your own Star Heart? Or did you just see or touch it? Did you see the Devil's Face? What did you see? Did you retreat from the Devil's Face or did you confront it? For Nisk and Korlmhy only - did you confront the Void? What was it - how was your soul dissolved and how was it reconstituted? What does that mean?"

We'll how they answer....

Jeff