Re: Inora/Whitey

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 12:53:23 -0700 (PDT)

Jane sez:

> . . . if you wish to "prove" that two entities
> are or aren't identical (such as Inora and the
> White Princess), then HQing is the normal way
> of doing it, and the results will be
> localised, controversial, and subject
> to contradiction as soon as someone with a
> stronger hero (or army) comes along?

With the exception of Defiant Entities, I don't think that any amount of heroquesting can prove a goddes is a spirit or vice versa. The most it can do is prove that the heroquester was deceiving into thinking such.  The world is mixed, but it is like sand (i.e., grains of discrete stuff) rather than salt water (i.e., completely mixed together to the point of not being easily separable).

Then Peter sez:

> This isn't how glorantha works - belief
> and heroquests do not make reality.

I agree with Peter's meaning, in this context. (I would quibble if anyone tried to apply the words "heroquests do not make reality" across all other possible cases. Apparently, from Peter's later comments, he might mean this. I think heroquests do decide a lot about reality, but within bounds. For example, heroquests cannot prove that a goddess is a spirit.)

Chris Lemens

(Not an ad: If you have a little extra money to donate to a good cause, check out http://www.modestneeds.org/.)

Do You Yahoo!?