Re: Teshnos related questions: Lunars, Ashurtans?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:34:57 +1200

At 09:27 AM 6/23/2005 -0400, you wrote:

>I am sure the average Teshnan would be rather polite and willing to
>listen to a Lunar Missionary, but I am more concerned about how the
>hierarchy of priests and zitrs would react to such a thing. I already
>intend for the PC's to get uses as proxies in some kind of inter-temple
>squabble, however, I am unsure which Teshnan cults would be most
>friendly and which would be most opposed to the Red Goddesses message of
>inclusion. ("We Are All Us, baby.")

There is some Moon cult among the Teshnans considering that the Goddess teaches Fuel (the ordinary world of matter) how to become Fire (the world of magic) and that both Teshnos and the Lunar Empire were part of the Empire of Sheng Seleris. I imagine it might be considered part of the Furalor cult.

The local Moonies would not think much of the We are all us and that most Teshnans would smile politely and move on. What interests the Teshnans more is the wisdom of how the body creates its own life flame. (That's not to say that your PCs should not preach We Are All Us, they should and do at the beginning - it's just that they have to make a decision between remaining true to their faith or altering their sales talk).

>2) I am fascinated the Fallen Sky Antigod race of the Ashurtans. [...]

>Is there any more information about them? I am more interested in what
>they look like, how they act, and roughly how powerful they are. Are
>they roughly equivalent to humans? Are they as powerful as other
>denizens of the Sky World, like the Certamus from Anaxial's Roster?

I did an Ashurtan character for UW#2, the Thieves Arm. The relevant bits are:

         Flenshan, Melib Observer. [...] As an Ashurtan, an angelic
         race of outcasts from heaven, Flenshan desires the destruction
         of the Cosmos so its existance will no longer pain her.  Death
         is no release for his kind are fully reincarnated with full knowledge
         of their loss.  Failing that he obtains relief inflicting her agony
         upon others.  Everything he owns has caused pain either in its
         making or acquisition.  Flenshan knows [a Thanatari] and blackmails
         him into bringing her down-and-outs or (even captive heroes) to
         torture.

         Angelic Beauty 1w2, Credo of Pain (Cause indescribable agony,
         Create Item of Suffering, Find Weakness, Revive Victim) 15w,
         Close Combat (Needle of Woe ^3) 10w, Scribecraft 5w.

While there are a number of Ashurtans as powerful as a Certamus or better, most are ordinary humans (with exceptional beauty). I note that Flenshan is described as he or her in different places - my recollection is that I first
made her a female then decided to make her a male but did a sloppy job at making the revisions. While there are some hermaphrodite Ashurtans, I also think there are male and female Ashurtans.

--Peter Metcalfe