Re: Re: Winter Animist Practice or Tradition

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:14:02 -0700

> >Shamans tend to make bargains with the lesser spirits of the tradition
they
> >are in - rather than getting Oakfed into your fetish, you get a
subsidiary
> >spirit. That is why they look like they are bargaining with roughly equal
> >beings.
>
> Maybe I'm missing a book that say this stuff, but why do Shaman
> engage in estatic worship if they get their magic through bargains
> with lesser spirits? After all, isn't one point of worship of a god
> is to get spells from them?

Page 131, first paragraph, and the grey box that says "Characteristics of Animism". last line.

Why? 'cause that's how they do it. The ecstatic rites put them in right mindset.

Why bargain with a lesser spirit instead of a greater? Because the greater spirit has a few masteries advantage over you, and you woudn't like being *it's* fetish...

More whys? I'll let Greg answer, 'cause I'm not a shaman.

RR
- Richelieu