Re: misapplied worship

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2005 16:05:10 -0400

Hey Tony.

On Sun, 2005-26-06 at 08:19 -0700, Tony Davis wrote:
> Well, Aeolians have the Western blessings to work
> with.

Oh agreed. The basic everyday level is unchanged, since most people don't concentrate anyway.

> And Aeolians are better at synchretism... a
> new Saint can come from ANY pantheon of gods, whether
> it was originally a troll god, a light god or a storm
> god. the Essence versions can't fight each other...
> the community remains harmonious.

I don't think just any old god can be made compatible with the Aeolian religion by renaming it a saint. It would still have to have some kind of ideological bond that fit into the myths somehow. You don't just see a god, think it would be neat, and adopt it in.

But even so, other religions can obviously incorporate gods and spirits from elsewhere. Sword Man is Humakt adopted by the Praxians. Kolat is an animist practice that has been adopted into the Storm Tribe (although without doing it as misapplied worship.)

> I don't know. I find those Aeolians fascinating.

Oh, I never meant to imply they weren't fascinating. I think don't think they were the best example of misapplied worship to feature. I think Greg himself mentioned he wished he had called it "mixed worship" or something that made it less "your whole faith is actually a mistake" sounding.