Re: Lunar Regiments

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:22:59 -0000

> I'm part of one organisation that is around eight hundred years
old, my old
> Oxford college. It's been on the same site since its foundation
and still
> owns some of the property donated then. It's had essentially the
same
> organisation throughout. No military organisation in Britain goes
back
> that far - any examples from elsewhere?

The Swiss Guard was formed in 1506 and still exists (providing the same sort of benefit that Delta House did - "a long tradition of existence both to its members and the community at large.") - that's 499 years.

The Legio II Augusta was likely formed by Octavian in 43 BC. In 407? AD it was involved in the final defense of Britain at Rutupiae (Richborough) and the withdrawal from Britannia. That's about 450 years - or about one Gloranthan Age.

The Legio III Augusta was probably raised by Octavian in 41 or 40BC and disbanded in North Africa in the 5th Century. Probably lasted around 450 years - or about one Gloranthan Age.

That's what a quick search finds for me.

Jeff