Re: potatoes and pizza

From: John Galloway <yuskim1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 11:15:31 -0000

Oh yes. Mosty we saw pies at picnics or gatherings where the ladies were expected to bring a 'plate' but occasionally we'd get one for dinner. About 12 inches across and about 2 inches deep, flakey pastry on top cooked toa golden brown and inside either Mince, Steak (chopped up pieces of steak cooked in a thick meaty sauce), Steak & Kidney, Bacon & Egg, Fish, or whatever. When we had a pie at dinner time it was definately the 'meat' component of the meal. I always assumed Shepherd's Pie was for people who either couldn't afford or could get pastry.

Yes, we also had those smaller savoury pies which have pretty much the same fillings but aren't much bigger than the palm of one's hand. I can't say I've heard of putting ale or apples into them. Interesting. ;-)

Thanks,