RE: Fohn

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 13:46:51 +0100

>>"A what?" I thinks, before Googling.
>>
>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind <https://ukgateway.logicacmg.com/wiki/Foehn_wind>
>>
>>One of them?

Sorry I should have been less terse - yes those. The classic fohn (as described to me by my bavarian girlfriend) sees the temp go from -10 to +10 celcius overnight, deep falls of snow melting very rapidly and the air going incredibly clear - it comes from a weather system on the Adriatic side piling up against the southern flank of the Alps, tipping over and then dropping down onto Bavaria and Austria on the northern side.

>>A wind goes over a mountain and gets changed by it... that sounds so
>>mythical it just has to happen. Storm God (male) ascends mountain
>>(female), gets handed weapons to beat up snow and ice (Vadrus?), does
>>so. One assumes the mountain disliked snow and ice. And it sounds like
>>there was an alliance with the Fire Tribe there to provide heat.

You need a good, solid barrier for this to work, so the Quivin mountains won't do. The Dragonspine range is the right sort of shape and has Wintertop conveniently at hand for a goddess - it also has lunarised Tarsh on the 'warm' side for a source of experimental heroquestors who might be interested in coopting things to a less rebellious view of the world.

Regards
Luke

Yahoo! Groups Links