Fohn

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:17:53 -0000

Luke:

> Would there be a Fohn anywhere in Dragon Pass? If so what would the
mythology be?

"A what?" I thinks, before Googling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind

One of them?

"when a deep layer of prevailing wind is forced over a mountain range" "..As the wind descends to lower levels on the leeward side of the mountains, the air heats ...creating strong, gusty, warm and dry winds."

So we need some mountains, with the prevailing wind blowing towards and over them. I know where mountains are in Glorantha, I'm less sure about the direction of prevailing winds. (They change during the Fimbulwinter, I know that much).

"Winds of this type are called "snow-eaters" for their ability to make snow melt rapidly"

That's got to be the source of a myth or two!

A wind goes over a mountain and gets changed by it... that sounds so mythical it just has to happen. Storm God (male) ascends mountain (female), gets handed weapons to beat up snow and ice (Vadrus?), does so. One assumes the mountain disliked snow and ice. And it sounds like there was an alliance with the Fire Tribe there to provide heat.