Re: Movie-inspired characters (was: Bounty hunters.

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 03:43:39 -0400

On Fri, 2005-22-07 at 14:16 -0700, Victor Lane wrote:
> Ha! That would be awesome! Most of the people I game with are big
> Firefly fans. It would just be fun to do that and see how long it
> takes for the players to realize what the NPCs are based on.

That's always a fun game if you have the players who will get it once it is revealed.

> I think Mal (the captain) would be one of the Orlanth warrior
> subcults, same for the first mate. Neither of them have a death focus
> and the singled mindedness that I think most Hunakti have. Mal I think
> might be branching out into one of the leadership subcults too. Wash
> is definitely Dormal with a very high Sailing ability.

Mind you, Mal was destroyed by the battle of Serenity valley. (That's why I thought Humakti. He's seen so much death he has cut himself off.)

Interestingly, while this would work as rebels to the Lunar Empire, you could also do this crew in GodLearner times. They might even make more sense then, when they could be a ships crew easily enough.

Considering Mal has the whole "you are welcome on my boat. God isn't." attitude, he may not be anything but common magic.

> I wouldn't do River as Eurmali. I would do her as Illuminated (1) or
> something like that. She can predict the future to a small extant and
> she knows things she couldn't possibly know. Plus, she is just a bit
> insane. And, according to the preview for Serenity, she is a kick ASS
> martial artist. Hmm, maybe do both Rover and the Doctor as characters
> from the East Isles. Instead of Illumination, have it be some kind of
> weird, forced Mysticism.

Mysticism would work. Although if you are going with the "against the unified Empire/Alliance" idea, then Illuminated makes sense. She is also a crack shot and may well be telling the truth when she says she can kill you with her brain.

Lc