RE: HQ still doesn't make much sense

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 20:21:37 +0100

Same here. And it has to be said that I've dropped half the rules :)

> It is generally accepted that feats granted by deities are of a
> higher power order than Heortling Talents. Also, by becoming a
> Devotee you can improvise new feats from your affinities. In the
> hand of a creative player and a good narrator, can become a powerful
> story tool.

Oh, yes! Exploring the byways of your cult can be great fun!

> Also remember that Kallyr is an Initiate. So its not like your
> wrong is it??

Be fair - she's an initiate who would very much like to be a devotee, but doesn't have time.

> > I am finding
> > that for the most part I'd rather just not use the
> > system at all... I end up rolling dice just to look
> > busy and just narrate what I think would happen.

Fine. You never *have* to have a contest. You can look at the numbers and just decide. But if you do want a contest, HQ makes it very easy to do so.

> > Having a fight where you can't tell if someone is
> > wounded is strange.

You prefer maybe the D&D "fully fit until you lose another HP and drop dead"?

> The level of damage is determined by the level of defeat surely?
> Thus, take care not to describe people as having taken wounds and
> damage until the final action that results in a defeat with someone.

It's perhaps worth remembering that in the heat of combat, you really don't notice just what wounds you've taken (or so I'm told - my actual experience is non-zero, but limited) You notice that you're slowing down, you maybe notice trouble getting your sword in place as fast as usual, but it's only afterwards that you realise what the details are. In other words, you notice that your APS drop :)

> I think I understand how you feel. I really do think that it is a
> question of experience. The other thing is the type of adventures
> or scenario's you are running. HQ is not going to suit say, a
> dungeon crawl.

Oh yes it is! The classic one we did with Guy. What was it? "huge and confusing dungeon 15W" versus our various "explore dungeon" abilities? Simple contest. And a complete victory, resulting in finding an accurate(ish) map of the place.