RE: The Best Way to be a Hero Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense was RE: Eurmali

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:34:27 +0100

> Exactly! The rules don't give us any reason to
> believe that a feat from a devotee is in any way
> better than that of a common magic guy.

I believe the intention is that common magic is very specific and very low-level. "Cure nettle sting", not "heal injury". I agree that this is not well described, nor easy to quantify. Personally I would allow "cure nettle sting" to cure other stings, at a modifier, but I'd never allow "heal injury" to be common magic in the first place.

Personally I emphasize this, because I like it this way. Those little nitty-gritty bits of colour add a lot to a campaign, esp. when intelligently used, and they contrast nicely with the Big Stuff.

> Also, it
> looks like the best way to be a hero is to be an
> initiate (or some level) and keep your talents/common
> magic... because then you have freedom to do your own
> thing.

It's a real shame that the published NPCs were pre-HQ, and so we have no idea if they were concentrated or not, because the concept didn't exist then.

> No one becomes a god by being a disciple of a
> god. Discipleship is for people with no imagination.

I'm not quite sure I agree with that. It seems to me to be for people willing to limit their personal freedom of choice for what they see as a greater good. They may well be able to imagine all sorts of interesting things to do that as disciples are impossible for them.

> That's why you can't be a king if you're a disciple.
> You have to be an initiate of two gods...

I do not agree that kings have to have imagination, but the rest follows, yes.