RE: The Best Way to be a Hero Re: HQ still doesn't make much sense was RE: Eurmali

From: Tony Davis <gallows_brother_at_...>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:21:16 -0700 (PDT)

> > Exactly! The rules don't give us any reason to
> > believe that a feat from a devotee is in any way
> > better than that of a common magic guy.
>
> I believe the intention is that common magic is very
> specific and very
> low-level. "Cure nettle sting", not "heal injury". I
> agree that this is not
> well described, nor easy to quantify. Personally I
> would allow "cure nettle
> sting" to cure other stings, at a modifier, but I'd
> never allow "heal
> injury" to be common magic in the first place.

I think Flesh Man has a "Heal Flesh" talent. That's pretty big, really. I've seen more than one "Heal Hurt" kind of common magic.

> Personally I emphasize this, because I like it this
> way. Those little
> nitty-gritty bits of colour add a lot to a campaign,
> esp. when intelligently
> used, and they contrast nicely with the Big Stuff.
>
> > Also, it
> > looks like the best way to be a hero is to be an
> > initiate (or some level) and keep your
> talents/common
> > magic... because then you have freedom to do your
> own
> > thing.
>
> It's a real shame that the published NPCs were
> pre-HQ, and so we have no
> idea if they were concentrated or not, because the
> concept didn't exist
> then.

Well, I see a lot of initiates with high levels of affinity. They improv alot, but that's ok because they have a lot to work with.

> > No one becomes a god by being a disciple of a
> > god. Discipleship is for people with no
> imagination.
>
> I'm not quite sure I agree with that. It seems to me
> to be for people
> willing to limit their personal freedom of choice
> for what they see as a
> greater good. They may well be able to imagine all
> sorts of interesting
> things to do that as disciples are impossible for
> them.

Perhaps so. What a tragic figure that would be!

> > That's why you can't be a king if you're a
> disciple.
> > You have to be an initiate of two gods...
>
> I do not agree that kings have to have imagination,
> but the rest follows,
> yes.

It seems to me that the Heortlings value heroism in their heros and cunning in their kings. They have these lovely Lords running around being the living embodiment of their gods... but they don't surprise anyone. Your king has to have the element of doing something tricky so that your enemies can't anticipate you. If your king was a Wind Lord, they'd know what your tribe was going to do at all times.

t.

Start your day with Yahoo! - make it your home page http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs