Re: Wizardly HQing (was the Hero/Eurmali thread that has left the Subject far behind)

From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:17:15 -0400

On Thu, 2005-28-07 at 09:23 -0700, David Weihe wrote:

> "Wizardly people" stand for Danmalastan residents from the same
> generation as Ehilm or Worlath (who the foolish Theists insist on
> mis-calling gods) or Horal or Zzabur. These people *were* massively
> powerful symbols, and had as many stories told about their exploration
> of the world and the Superior Planes as those silly theists have of
> their "gods" (ha, ha, ha, <insert favorite Stupid Theist joke here>),
> plus others that weren't stolen (examples omitted, so that they won't
> be stolen).

That's an interesting idea. So they re-enact myths of these people. But then the ritual role thing becomes problematic, yes? Sure, there are Elihlm orderlies but most of the Saints did things after Time. And do you have to be an orderly to satisfy a role?

I'm sure a lot of this is dealt with in Men of the West, but I have trouble figuring out what Western HeroQuesting would be like. You don't initiate, so you don't HeroQuest to learn Feats all the time. You get blessings. Opening a Portal of Power to go to the spell node doesn't seem to track to going to the GodWorld to learn a Feat. (Just as it doesn't track to catching a spirit to bind it.)

Theism tracks easily over to the HQ as following a myth version we've been presented with. Do the Westerners re-enact aspects of their Saints' lives to get some sort of magic?

lc