RE: Magic systems and the nature of Glorantha

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 14:06:30 -0500

>From: Light Castle <light_castle_at_...>

>>I don't think these things are especially probable however and the absence
>>of the tables and crunchy detail that you get in a traditional RPG has
>>removed one of the main routes by which GMs build up a sense of the power
>>curve of a setting - which makes it hard for new-to-Glorantha GMs to make
>>productive 'Yes, but' calls and assign reasonable consequences to player
>>initiated actions in the game.

>I agree here. I'm not a huge fan of crunchy bits, but making judgement
>calls as a GM requires working from something. But to defend the book some,
>I think the book tries to give you enough to run a "workable Glorantha",
>not "Generally Accepted Glorantha". So they erred on the side of giving the
>GM more options to stick power at whatever they want.

I guess that I have to agree, given that there does seem to be a lot of confusion regarding these things in general. But it seems strange to me, since the asked for charts and such are actually in the rules. I mean, aren't the HP charts, the resistance charts, and the ability scale in the book all precisely the sort of thing you're looking for?

I find it odd that no matter how many times I point people to the scale in the book, they somehow always forget it. Can anyone tell me why this is? Why is it that folks seem to have such a hard time with the scale? I mean, there's Jar Eel on the resistance chart as a 10W4+. Doesn't that nail things down well enough? How about the bestiary listings?

What is it that's missing?

Mike