Re: Casting feats on others

From: Mark Galeotti <mark_at_...>
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 22:16:51 -0000

Hi Mike,

> >Mechanically, there is no reason why your Vingan could not have a
whole
> >entourage of treetop-trotters, so long as she overcame that
multiple-target
> >penalty and they were close to her when she invoked the feat.
>
> I'm going to present an opposing opinion here.

What you write is a pefectly valid way of using the rules. But the bottom line is that the rules do not _mechanically_ disallow the use of feats in this way. Instead, they say

"If the narrator agrees that your interpretation fits the name of the ability, the use of magic, and the dramatic logic of her game, you can go ahead and use the ability in that way." (p97)

Some people regard such open-ended guidelines as a cop-put, others (myself included) see them as liberating. Now, in this context there is nothing wrong with presenting a personal view of why you think narrators ought not allow such feats to be used in this way, as you do very cogently. But the rules certainly do not prevent this putative Vingan from taking her chums into the treetops.

All the best

Mark