Extreme heroquesting (was Re: Wizardly HQing_)

From: newsalor <newsalor_at_...>
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 14:14:08 -0000

> I guess some of these "Ernalda Pulls [Ritual] Out of a Hat" stories
> might be playable to some extent.

These quests are certainly playable. It works out just like making a fully fledged heroquest out of any one sentance mentioned in the very brief write-ups.

Let's say that we have a passing mention of something like "Ernalda did the Goose Dance to stop the famine." That may not sound as exciting as "Orlanth killed the Dragon to end draught." In itself, both contain the makings of a good myth, but they just nee dto be written out.

Orlanth is active, so it may seem initially easier to make up the details of his myth, but Ernalda just needs a different approach. Ernalda is passive, so her myths are more about being than doing. So were as a myth about Orlanth contains stuff that Orlanth does, the myths about Ernalda cast Ernalda being there, learning stuff about herself, showing her place in the society etc.

Ok, the Goose Dance. "How Ernalda created the Goose Dance" that is.

First let's tell what the problem is and the causes behind it. Perhaps the men of the tribe were too busy fighting the Other Tribe or something. Then we'll put Ernalda or maybe Roitina there. We'll have her discover the reasons and perhaps encounter other gods, who are afflicted by the problem. Perhaps others are trying to fix the situation with their old and more direct ways like fighting and stuff. Thus Ernalda must come up with her Other Way. She'll show her place (and the place of women in general) in society and maybe teach the gods she encountered before. This could mean that the Goose Dance brings the people together and all the gods realize that they have to put more effort into working the land instead of fighting over silly matters.

OK, that's the basics. What I'd do next is go over the stuff again and make sure that the myth is entertaining, tells something about the society and the place different folk play in it and contains something that is somehow magically significant. Then I'd write it out.

That's it. Ernalda pulls a ritual out of a hat. We now know what this ritual means and when it is performed. It's playable even though Ernalda doesn't go around and do stuff. She is there, brings forth her character and solves a major problem.