Re: Initate to Devotee

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:54:29 GMT

In message <20050812073131.MVLC12116.aamta10-winn.ispmail.ntl.com_at_homemaster> "Jane Williams" writes:

>Been musing again over the difference between initiates and Devotees, and
>why from the Gloranthan POV anyone would choose to become a Devotee. So, as
>per usual, I asked some Gloranthan people what they thought. There are
>probably more sides to the story than this, but this is certainly one way of
>looking at it, and one that makes for good story and possibly roleplay, if
>you're that way inclined.

[snip]

>If you don't recognise what's going on (devotees are *rare*, you won't have
>seen anything like this before), or can't get to a temple or godi to help,
>or just don't have the time to answer that call, life is going to get messy.
>Or interesting, from the player's POV.
>

>Whaddaya reckon, does this fit other people's Gloranthas? At least as an
>option to be used, if not the norm?

Certainly sounds plausable, especially among Orlanthi. Although there will be people who've seen it before or at least have heard of it. Of course the young man or woman involved may not wish to take any notice of the one old person in the clan who remembers that it happened to a cousin of his wife's in another clan.

I think the Lunars are better organised - they have priestesses out looking for the signs so they can induct the people into the right cult early on (or kill them if it's an enemy cult).

It also raises the question of what happens if a Heortling is chosen by an aspect of the Red Goddess - they start doing strange foreign magic they can't properly control.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/