RE: Initate to Devotee

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:25:15 -0500

>From: "Jane Williams" <janewilliams20_at_...>

>I know of nothing in the rules that even suggests this, but it's easy
>enough to simulate, with a bit of cooperation between GM and player.

I think your take is right on the money. There is, however, something in the rules that simulates the "call" of the deity. That is, the character, already an Initiate, will have a "Worship [Diety]" ability, which is really their relationship to the deity. I think the call is strongly related to this stat. Just as the narrator will probably play on your "Loves Ragnar" ability to have that call to the character, I think that the Worship ability does the same thing.

The extent to which the player plays along is his input into how much he feels his character is called. If he's interested in moving on to devotee status, he'll let it affect his character's actions appropriately. In fact, I think it's precisely the player's subjective interpretation of the relationship that determines if a call does indeed exist for that character.

Which is cool, because I'm sure that all initiates feels that they might be being called at one time or another. The question of whether the call is "real" or not, is a very personal one, and, I'm betting, a fun one for a player to get to struggle with. Generally I find every level of committment change for characters to be very interesting to play out. First joining a religion for a convert, for instance, is a huge transformation. Initiation is a big step in committement. Etc. All really fun stuff.

Mike