RE: Initate to Devotee

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:49:29 +0100

> Does the ability really drop back?

As I described it, the ability that might be called "magical abilities under control of deity not you", that was previously being used (by the GM) as an augment does indeed drop to zero.

> I thought you just kept the same abilities and added the new ones.

Of the standard ones, yes, that's what the plain basic rules say. Hence my reluctance to alter the way one of them is being used.

> No, my suggestion is to play per a normal relationship (sorry
> if that's not
> clear). You wouldn't give the character another ability if
> falling in love with the girlfirend, would you?

If the girlfriend is a deity who's mentally controlling them, then yes, I would. In fact, I think "loves girlfriend" would come into contests against "is controlled by girlfriend and resents it".

> I would personally never use my narrator authority to create a "call."

No, like I say, this is collabaration and at player request. I'm really not that bothered about the rules, more about the in-Glorantha concept.

"Wouldn't it be interesting if Fred started getting mysterious dreams about dying?" "Yeah, sure".
"How about if in the next fight, he starts using death magic, and everyone around him's scared, especially him?" "Sure, but I'll have to up the opposition a bit. And his death magic's only at 17-5, you'd need a lot more for anyone to notice - say he gets a +10 for that fight?" "Great! And then I can have him wonder if he's going insane, or possessed, or something. And worrying about the weregild, 'cos he didn't mean to kill those people."