RE: Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:34:32 +0100

> Frankly, I know most of my characters' likely augments. If it is a
> fight, I don't require my characters tell me that they are
> augmenting their sword attack with brave, strong, hate lunars, or
> whatever else is obvious. I don't need to spend much of the game
> listening to a half-dozen players give me a string of adjectives.
>
> Again, your playstyle may differ.

It must do, hugely, because I've never encountered anything like that, and I'm trying to think out why not.

We did come up with a list of standard augments, so we could compare effective combat levels and have some idea of comparisons with standard resistances, but I don't think we've ever used them in a contest.

I suppose to some extent because we don't have standard situations for them to react to. There is no "it's another fight like all the others". Certainly not "like all the others recently". We only bother with contests for the bits we're interested in, and if it's "just another fight", we'll take a quick look at comparative numbers and start the next scene with "and as you regroup in the cover of the trees..." or "They break and flee - do you pursue?" If it's "same as before", then we're not interested, so scene-frame through it.

Not that I've ever hit them with a repeated situation like that anyway, but if game circumstances compelled it, I expect that's what we'd do. Unless someone wanted to concentrate on it, of course.

I'll keep thinking - I'm sure there's more to it than that, and maybe I've got a problem about to jump out and bite me. But this campaign's been going since long pre-HQ, and no lists of adjectives so far. Just some good (and improving) writing.