Re: Sacred Time rituals in play - saga style

From: Neil Robinson <OrlanthiFool_at_...>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:40:47 -0700

People have been discussing the style of narrative - with Jeff's Varsmaring campaign as the example.
 The single biggest reason that the sagas for Jeff's game are really terse is just a matter of time and effort. David Dunham does a wonderful job keeping notes during play, and that's the basis for the saga. He spends some time cleaning it up before mailing it out to us. I'm sure that It could easily be a detailed narrative, but there isn't enough time to do that. If this were a PBeM game, it would be very different. I've tried to do full writeups for other games and it just seems to take too much time to do a good job. If you can game for 4 hours, but have to write up the events for another 8 hours you had better really like writing.  An interesting part of the writeups is that they do have a slight bias based on David/Brenna's interpretation of the events. I'm sure if I wrote them Korlmhy would interpret other things completely differently. David's view is a lot closer to the 'real' events than my writeup would be.  The saga is meant for internal use. We refer back to it so that we don't miss events - epecially since the game only runs every two weeks and a when a play misses a session they can easily be out of touch with all the millions of NPCs we interact with.
 You are right though Jane, we that a lot for granted in the saga that an outside reader won't know. There are many NPCs that get very little game time, and all of a sudden they 'pop out' in the storyline. We also get a good bit of information in emails before and after a session. Things like 'Here is the outline of the Lightbringer's Quest', or a list of 'People you would learn about in Balazar.'
 Neil (aka Korlmhy the Troublesome)