Re: Sagas and Literature

From: dzo01 <dzo_at_...>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:43:14 -0000

Which it illustrated extremely well, thank's Jeff.

> At the end of the day, this huge thread can be summed up as little
> more than an aesthetic difference between Jane (on side) and me (on
> the other) - basically, I like sagas and the Sopranos, Jane likes
> internal dialogue in literature. The only Gloranthan thing I can
end
> this with is that we know that the Heortlings like sagas. And they
> would probably like the Sopranos.:)

Yep, leave the high falutin', hand-wringing angst-ridden literature to the lunars (actually, angst-ridden seems more Humakti to me, but then again I could never stand them either ;).

What would modern lunar literature be? I imagine old solar literature being very similar to the slow, turgid, exposition rich victorian literature (with the occasional gems in the vein of Dickens, etc.) but a good case could be made for the roman croniclers.

Carmanians I can see in the russian style - long, depressing... (particularly those influenced by the Spolites).

With the Lunars I'm always temped to go modern (or even pomo) so I'll refrain from that.

Westerners - the obvious influences of Mallory, etc but what else. Do they have wandering troubadours?

All of this in the opinion of a biologist so to be taken with large amounts of NaCl.

> Jeff

Ps Jeff, David, Niel, etc. I might be dropping by Seattle in September (depending on how big a terrorist threat the US govt thinks I am of course ;), so if you want a guest star appearence of an old SFC'er...