Re: Re: Niskis

From: donald_at_...
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:39:53 GMT

In message <dgsent+jfhf_at_...> "Rob" writes:

>> Why did his wife marry him?
>
>He's the chief's son. Political reasons?
>
>> What did her family have to say
>> about it? If he broke a promise to change she's entitled to
>> a divorce with his family losing the brideprice and having
>> to return her dowry.
>
>Of course, but she must catch him out. I have a feeling that
>Niskisi are adept at hiding their assignations!

If he promised to change subcult and doesn't that's enough. That's reasonable cause to be suspicious. Of course if she married him without such a promise she hasn't much cause for complaint.

>> I can see her (Vingan) being blamed for breaking up the marriage.
>> If she isn't liked that may be an excuse to banish her.
>
>Actually she ends up crucified, but that where the scenario starts!

Because of this, or for some other reason? There's probably a bit of "Well good riddance"

>> He'd have as much chance of keeping that (his initiateship to
>>Niskis) a secret as he has of keeping the affair secret.
>
>You mean that you don't think it would be possible for them to have
>an affair?

Sure they can, but not keeping it secret from the rest of the clan. Remember the spouse is usually the last to know.

>> I reckon the clan women are waiting
>> for his wife to kick up a fuss before making an example of him.
>> Not because Niskis is socially unacceptable but because of his
>> actions.
>
>So you reckon they are already onto him, giving the philanderer
>enough rope to hang himself, euphamistically speaking?

Yes, with his mother or grandmother first in line. He's threatening the clan's wealth and if he's the chief's son the clan's reputation. How are they going to negotiate marriages for other sons if they tolerate such behaviour?

They'll probably try and avoid a divorce but he'll be expected to do whatever is needed to prevent that. His wife is in a very good position....

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/