Apple Lane

From: roger5036 <rogermccarthy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 09:10:05 -0000

A quick visit to a mapping site reveals that there are several dozen 'Apple' towns and villages in England - including 5 Applebys, 5 Appletons and 3 Appledores - most of which would I am pretty sure have been around in Domesday Book.

Some of these are in fact in adjacent counties (and English counties are generally smaller than Californian ones) - for example there are Appledores in Devon and in Cornwall and Appleby's in Leicestershire, Lincolnshire and Northamptonshire.

In fact it is precisely this tendency for duplication that led medieval scribes to add suffixes like 'Magna' and 'Parva' to village names.

Thus it would not at really surprise me if there was more than one place called Apple Lane in Sartar/Heortland - although I'd hardly make a big deal about it, as there is only one that is weird enough to be worth a visit.

As for Sartar's size mountains make a huge difference - Switzerland (to my mind a better topographical analogue for Sartar than say Wales) looks pretty small on the map but takes a lot longer to get around than a similarly sized area of flatland.

What does interest me as I am toying with running some of the old RQ adventures under HQ, is what happens to Gringle as he would make an excellent long-term patron for a roving band of characters.

Wyrms Footprints indicates that he becomes Temertain's eminence gris in 1613 but I can't remember seeing any reference to him in any HQ/HW publications - however he seems far too important a figure to just fade away and play no part in the Hero Wars.