Re: Apple Lane

From: CJ <cj_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:17:09 +0100

>Better tell the locals that, in or nearby the suffixes are dropped
>and the assumption is you're talking about the local one. Can be
>confusing if you're talking to someone from one when you're nearer
>to another. More usually it's clear from the context. Just as
>mentioning Manchester doesn't confuse anyone in the UK but quite
>a few people in the US.

This is now wildly off topic, but I lived for some years by the village of Fornham, next to Fornham, just down the road from Fornham - Fornham All Saint, Fornham St. Martin, and Fornham St. Genevieve, three seperate villages all within three miles of each other, denoted by their parish. (Just outside Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk.) We used to refer to all of them as Fornham, with a nod, gesture or pointing to indicate which village - as in meet you at pub in Fornham (waves hand) or meet you at Fornham shop - ods other way...

cj x