Re: Place names

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 12:59:40 +0100 (BST)

>In a "kingdom" the size of a large California county,
>with a population of less than a modern city, even as
>spread out as the Sartarites are I'd be surprised if
the >same name was repeated. Not shocked, merely surprised.

Having just returned from a trip to the Scottish Highlands where a place names are repeated over a comparitively small area I would suggest that you might be suprised.

I suspect many of these are due to place names originally being descriptive 'John's Farm', 'The village of the sons of Adam', 'Cold Farm' and only losing their original meaning due to language changes and changes in character.

That said Apple Farm would more likely repeat than Apple Lane.

Ian Cooper
0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

"Give the kids tools, so they can go build their own houses; not the blueprint of what the houses should be." Tori Amos

How much free photo storage do you get? Store your holiday snaps for FREE with Yahoo! Photos http://uk.photos.yahoo.com