Re: Digest Number 2261

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_...>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:53:11 -0000

> I think that generally "our way" and "not our way" is the correct way
> to look at it. But not that many people have anything to do with
> anyone outside their own pantheon. It is, in my opinion, a very
> nuanced issue.

That's the attitude of my Gloranthans. They avoid foreign magic and prefer native magic, period.

The more sophisticated Gloranthans in the games that I narrate know there are four methods of doing magic (animism, theism, wizardry, and invocation of talents), but they don't view one method as inherently better or worse than another. In fact, most of my homelands have practitioners of multiple magic methods, either because those homelands tolerate several different religions, or because they have a single dominant religion (e.g. the Teshnos Pantheon or Lunar Way) that uses multiple magical methods.

My Gloranthans also mostly ignore the three Otherworlds model. Every religion other than Common Religions has its own Other Side, which can be more or less distant from the Other Sides of other religions. I use the three Otherworlds model to help decide how distant two Other Sides are from one another, but other considerations also come into play. For example, the Other Side of a god like Orlanth might actually be closer to that of a friendly spirit like Kolat than it is to that of an enemy god like Yelm.

Rob