Re: Multiple Initiation

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 11:25:36 -0700

> >That's still a "social" problem, (where the social contract is between
you
> >&
> >your dieties, not you & other humans).
>
> So...you're saying that dieties do not have hard and fast rules about who
> they'll allow you to worship in addition to themselves? That it's
> negotiable? Under certain circumstances? Not in a crass way, but if the
> worshipper feels that they're not doing their diety a disservice by
> worshipping a god outside of the religion, and the god agrees (perhaps
> because the being worshipped in question isn't otherwise very
> objectionable), then everything is OK?

Some are more strict than others, of course. Orlanth will not allow any Lunar worship in his followers, frex (at least, not the current form - he & the Moon have this antipathy...).

> >As people have pointed out, there is Solar Ernaldan worship, as well as
the
> >Tarshite version of Ernalda as She Who Waits. Remember that Ernalda is a
> >Great Goddess in her own right, and is not restrained just because the
> >heortlings claim she is married to Orlanth. Orlanth and the Moon have a
> >ancient and implacable feud. Ernalda is not part of it.
>
> Well, perhaps she's not restrained. But it's a two way street. That is,
not
> only does Ernalda have to feel that it's OK for somebody to worship the
> Seven Sisters, but the Seven Sisters have to feel it's OK. Now, given that
> Ernalda may actually embody one of the Seven Sisters in some way, that's
not
> at all farfetched, I'd agree. And I'm seeing that Ernalda is a pretty
> conciliatory goddess, and perhaps widely worshipped.

No "perhaps" about "widely worshipped". All those Earth religions tend to muddle together.

The Lunar Way is very big into Conversions, and "Just getting along (except for Stormy types)" and "We are all us". There are few things the Lunars *won't* accept - Orlanth/Storm is about the only one, really. Heck, they'll accept Chaos before they accept Storm, and do!

> But that means that the definition of religion that you use above makes
for
> some odd boundaries on religions. I mean, by the religion definition (I
> don't know if the goddesses are too disparate to accept each other's
worship
> within the religion) you could worship both Vinga, and Ernalda. And you
can,
> by this definition apparently worship the Seven Sisters and Ernalda. But
> I'll bet that Vinga wouldn't allow one to worship both her and the Seven
> Sisters.

Well, Vinga's a wierdo. I doubt she'd be happy about a Lunar secondary worship in her follower, but then she is a subcult of Orlanth, and stormy in her own right. Just because A is happy with B, and A is happy with C, it doesn't mean B is happy with C.

It's like you don't have to like *all* your in-laws even if your spouse loves them dearly.

> I don't know if this is an accurate example or not. But I think that one
can
> probably come up with such cases. What this means is that for the
worshipper
> of Vinga, that the religion is "Shaped" differently by this definition
than
> it is for the Ernalda worshipper. That is, religion in this sense must
apply
> to the diety in question, not to the pantheon as a whole.

Remember that the "Storm Tribe religion" shown in Thunder Rebels is really the merging of the Storm and Earth Pantheons (with other additons, like Heler (Water) and Elmal (Fire). The Earth pantheon is pretty laid back about who they "marry". Chaos is about the only thing they absolutely *won't* mary, though Darkness is usually a close second.

> Is that accurate? Basically is there a Storm Pantheon which one can point
at
> and say, this is the group of dieties which, if you worship a diety
outside
> this group, they will not allow you to obtain their powers as well?

Nope. An individual god might object, but the patheon as a whole? I don't think so.

Frex: Urox (Storm Tribe anti-Chaos god) gets along fine with Storm Bull (Praxian Anti-chaos Spirit) (but that's because they are really the same thing). But he'd also have no problem with most other anti-chaos beings - Zorak Zoran (Darkness Anti-chaos) or a Anti-Chaos Rokari Church order, or even the Irin School (Lunar Anti-Chaos). The important thing to Urox is "Hulk Smash Chaos", not the group of beings his ally hangs out with.

>If religion and pantheon are synonymous,

They aren't.

then it would seem that the Seven
> Sisters being worshipped with Ernalda then creates an exception (I'm
> assuming that this has nothing to do with the fact that the Seven Sisters
> are Common Magic - if that's the case, then please let me know that -
let's
> assume they're specialized for this argument). If religion as worship
> boundaries is based solely on individual dieties selecting their own
> boundaries for worship, then pantheons are just gross groups that tend to
> associate with each other.

Yep. But they are also (maybe "instead") grouped together by their worshippers - there are people like the Tarshites that worship the Storm Tribe (Alakoring synod) plus Lunar beings, plus purely local Tarshite beings. There are various Heortling clans that add troll gods to their religious mix. Pol Joni add Praxian practices to theirs.

> That is, Challana Arroy will withdraw here powers if you worship Humakt,
> right?

Yep.

So you can't say that a pantheon is that group in which you can
> worship any two dieties successfully.

I don't *think* I said that, did I?

And if Ernalda and Vinga have
> different boundaries some of which stretch outside of the pantheon, then
the
> pantheon itself really doesn't pose any firm limits in any way. Just
> tendencies.

Let's see - I'd say that a "Pantheon" is a group of Gods that are worshipped as a group by "Communal Worshippers" even if the dieties in question might not always agree or get along with each other - there are other ties that bind them together.

> - The social level with your culture - here the Pantheon is relevant as
"who
> we worship." Making it hard to get any worship outside of the pantheon
> accepted.
> - The social level with your diety - here the Pantheon may not be as
> relevant, and the diety may, in fact, allow more leeway in going outside
of
> the pantheon to other dieties that are other aspects of themselves, or
> simply who have common interests that don't compete.
>
> Does that sound right? Or do I still have it all mixed up?

No, that sounds right.

I'd say that Yelmic All (what is that, 95 or 99%) Gloranthans stay withing the socially permissable religion of their culture. It's only wierdoes like heroes and Heroes that "break out" of the mold - and not even all of them do. King Broyan seems to stay within his cultural religion, Kallyr seems to "roam" a bit. The Red Emperor doesn't roam, Arkat definitely did.

RR
- Richelieu